Friday, November 9, 2007

Speaking on Self-Esteem at Malow Jr. High !! :)








Malow Jr. High students rock! What a great group of kids! Go Mustangs!
Because of a wonderful invitation from the school guidance counselor, Mrs. Witt, I had the amazing opportunity to go to Malow Jr. High, in Shelby Twp, and speak to eighth grade students for six hours on Friday, November 9th. Before I even started to share my message I was presented with a beautiful plaque to thank me for coming in! I was so surprised and I will treasure it always! The day was very exciting! I was on my feet for most of the day and I now have a new appreciation for all of my teachers! My feet were "dog" tired by the end of the day if you know what I mean! It was my day off from Clarkston High School and I was so thrilled to be asked to share my story with these students! :)

Malow Jr. Highers are required to take a Life Skills class. I spoke during each of the six classes ~ about one hour for each class. That is almost six hours of talking! Believe me, I was tired by the end and slept great that night! During the six hours, I talked about self-esteem issues, peer pressure, and I especially tried to help them with practical ways of finding out "who they are" and, of course, shared my pageant experience.

I am now hooked on public speaking and I hope that I will have many more opportunities to share my story and help other students to find out who they are! Motivational speaking is awesome!

Shortly after returning home from Malow Jr. High several of the students contacted me through myspace! It's great that they learned something that I had said or that maybe they don't feel so alone in a situation! I am thrilled they have written to me! I understand the responsibility I have been given with this title and just wanted them to know that if they had anything personal that they wanted to discuss with me that they could contact me on myspace. I have heard from several of the guys too ~ they weren't bored ~ they were listening! :)

I gave all of the students a challenge to take the time to find out who they are and I hope that they will do just that! And YOU can too! :)

No comments: