Friday, November 23, 2007

My Interview with Clarkston News

Elizabeth Hawthorne was crowned 2008 Miss Michigan Teen USA. Photo by Trevor Keiser


I found my interview that I had with my hometowns newspaper "The Clarkston News" on the internet. So I wanted to share the article with all of you!



Millstream
Serving Society
Pageant winner uses crown to inspire youth

November 07, 2007 - Elizabeth Anne Hawthorne began competing in beauty pageants at age 12. Little did she know four years later, she would be crowned Miss Michigan Teen USA 2008.

"When I won, it was just amazing; there are really no words to describe it," she said.

Hawthorne competed against 64 other girls from around the state. She said her main goal for the competition was just to have fun and to enjoy meeting all the other girls.

"The judges were so much fun, the interview was awesome, and the girls were amazing. We just had a really good time because we didn't have our parents around and it was basically like a dorm room, but in a hotel."

Previous to Miss Teen USA, Hawthorne won two other titles. In 2005 she won Dreamgirls USA and in 2006 she was crowned Miss Michigan Jr. Teen.

"This is biggest one I have ever had, and honestly the one I can say I worked very hard for because it was the very first time I was in a swimsuit, so working out everyday, running, and just being myself was the big thing," she said.

Hawthorne is involved in several charity events with her "sister Queen," Ms. Michigan USA Elisabeth Crawford. Hawthorne will also teach others about her platform, osteoporosis.

"My big goal is to help teens and tell them how to prevent osteoporosis in the future," said Hawthorne.

She chose this after hitting her hip during a dance routine in a pageant. A shock went up her spine and, after consulting with a chiropractor, she found out that she has extra cartilage on her rib. She originally thought it was a bone tumor.

"So I went online to find this bone tumor I thought I had and I couldn't find anything, especially for teens, and I came across the National Osteoporosis Foundation. I contacted Kris House who was one of the speakers, and I told her I would really like to be a spokesperson for teens and really get the word out about osteoporosis and how to prevent it," she said.

Hawthorne is also working closely with the foundation while writing her first book for teens about osteoporosis prevention.

As one of Hawthorne's recent charity events, she worked with the Octagon Club and dressed up as Princess Fiona from the movie "Shrek" for the Friendly Forest, as well as doing a walk for the National Osteoporosis Foundation. She is a junior and honor student at Clarkston High School. Activities include, SADD, Octagon Club, French Club and Rachel's Challenge. She is also active in the Clarkston Coalition for Youth.

During the competition, Hawthorne was asked, "if you could have any class in high school that you don't already have, what would it be?" Her response: a confidence building class.

"In our society, we are full of peer pressure and that leads to drugs, alcohol and anorexia, by having this class we can build these kids up and let them know it's ok to be confident and have self esteem. With that we can have a better community."

Hawthorne has been asked to speak at Shelby Township middle school about self-esteem, since the school is going through a hard time after the death of two students.

"(I want to) try to inspire them to be themselves and if they're different, to embrace that and be unique. Because I think we conform so much in high school than in junior high because of all the peer pressure, that we should just embrace who we are and love ourselves and also open their arms to other people."

Hawthorne hopes to speak to the Clarkson elementary, middle school and junior high about self-esteem and peer pressure. She has noticed an increase in drug use, since the DARE (Drug Abuse Resistance Education) program has been taken out of the schools.

"I went through it (Dare) five times in my hometown and I appreciate it so much. It has taught me not to even be associated with kids that do drugs or alcohol and if I do come across them I am a strong enough person, to tell them it's not a good idea and it is not good for their body as well as illegal," she said.

Hawthorne said doing pageants has helped her figure out who she is as a person. In 2006 Hawthorne had the opportunity to meet Miss America Jennifer Berry and listen to her explain how she was picked on in fifth grade for being taller than everyone else.
"I was just sitting their crying because I was that same girl and I never really realized how alone and how empty that feeling was because I never faced it, I just kind of pushed it away. Once I found out I wasn't alone in that situation it just kind of opened up and I accepted it and I knew I grew from that."

The following summer led to a lot of growth for Hawthorne, she said many people can go their entire life without really knowing who they are as a person.

"I am thankful enough to figure out who I am. It's not only Miss America, but it's my parents, pageants in general and just people I've met along the way, especially God because he gave me life and gave me these amazing people that are in my path right now," she said.

Hawthorne was born in Kalamazoo but spent 10 years growing up in Grand Haven, which she considers to be her hometown, until moving to Clarkston as a ninth grader in 2005. She is the daughter of Steve and Peg Hawthorne.

As one of her prizes as being crowned Miss Michigan Teen, she received a full four year tuition $34,000 scholarship to Baker College, as well as contracts from I Group Talent Modeling agency and New View Model Management.

After graduation, Hawthorne plans to go to France to be a model for two years to get money for college, then come back and go to Baker for two years of General Education classes. Then she wants to transfer to a different college. She wants to become a licensed Psychologist.

Hawthorne will represent Michigan in the 2008 Miss Teen USA pageant in April.

No comments: