Sunday, April 13, 2008

Girls' State :)




On Tuesday, April 8th I interviewed in hopes to be chosen to attend Girls State June 15-21st at Michigan State University. I found out Wednesday the 9th that I was one of three girls selected, from my high school,to attend!!! I am so happy for a number of reasons!!! 1. My mom also attended Girls' State in 1976 in New Hampshire where she held an office in the House of Representatives and won a Good Citizenship Award! 2. After speaking on Capital Hill on February 28th I am very intrigued with all that goes on at our Nations Capital! 3. I will be returning to the Hill, at some point in time, and want to be even more prepared and I hope to get legislature passed regarding that Osteoporosis be taught in schools as part of a class before graduation. 4. I am looking at MSU very seriously as I plan to become a licensed Psychologist and I would love to spend the week on campus and getting familiar with it to see if I want to attend the University! I am very excited to attend Girls State and very thankful that the American Legion Auxilary chose me to attend!


Girls' State is offered to girls, during the summer, between their Junior and Senior year of high school. There is also a program for boys called Boys' State. Girls State was founded in 1920 by the American Legion Auxilary and offers a simulation on all levels of government. It is a great experience for those who are interested in working in government, but it will also be great for the future when I am old enough to vote and understand how our government works so that I can make great voting choices!


More news on this to come! Stay posted!

No comments: