Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Clarkston Youth Recognition Volunteer Award :)


I have a passion for volunteering!! I started volunteer work when I was 12 years old at a Homeless Shelter for Women and Children when I lived on the other side of the state. When we moved here in 2005, I continued to work at a different shelter in the Soup Kitchen! It was hard work, but very fullfilling and I was always so deeply blessed by the many "thank-you's" that came my way. Putting a meal into their hands (and stomachs) and a smile on their face made me feel like I really helped to make a difference in someone's life.

Now I volunteer my time with the National Osteoporosis Foundation as their official Teen Ambassador!!!! When I am able I also volunteer for the American Red Cross, Special Olympics, National Kidney Foundation, speaking at middle schools about self-esteem issues, and Christian retreats as well. I also participate in the Autism Walk, SADD Sticker Shock Distribution, Clarkston Coalition For Youth and the list . . . goes on . . . and on!!!

It was very exciting for me to recieve a Clarkston Community volunteer Youth Award! There were about 107 of us students from K-12th grades that were honored for our efforts in the community. Special music was provided, a guest speaker who thanked us and encouraged us to continue on, and a reception following the award ceremony!

Clarkston is a great place t live and I love to volunteer here whenever I can! :)

No comments: