Saturday, July 5, 2008

Relay for Life

On Saturday, June 21st, I participated in my first Relay For Life event. I had literally just returned home from Girls State, got out of the car, threw on my jeans and a sweatshirt (sash and crown) and drove to the Relay site (which is the Jr. High School here in Clarkston). It was almost 10pm when I got there and I had no idea what to expect.


I registered and gave a check donation in honor of my Aunt Suzan who had passed away from cancer on December 2, 2006. We were not able to get to her funeral in New Hampshire so this was my mom's and my way of truly letting go and saying our good-bye.



I was surprised it was so quiet. Very soft music was playing and a video was being shown on a huge projector screen. We stood there watching it and just wept. It was a very moving and beautiful experience. All around the track were luninary lights and each bag had a name and some bags also included a picture of the person to be honored. It was very emotional to see the candles all aglow in the dark as we walked around for about a mile or more. Although it was very sad I am glad that I went and I would like to do another one in the daytime where all kinds of events are going on.


If you have never participated in Relay For Life I hope that you will at some point in time. It is for a great cause and honors not only those who have passed away, but honors the survivors of cancer as well.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dear Sister Elizabeth,
I understand by your website you are clean God fearing woman. I pray your
life testimony may touch many of your friends in usa and around the world for the glory of God. I pray God to touch your life with peace, Joy, Love and prosperity that you may bless others.
I am pastor Godwin Robert serving our Lord Jesus Christ in India. Pray for us. Visit us at www.elfci.org. God Bless
Pastor Godwin Robert