Saturday, October 6, 2007

Walk For Autism


My first official appearance as Miss Michigan Teen USA 2008 was on September 30th at the Detroit Zoo! But that was not where the story begins! On July 4th at a crafts fair in Clarkston I met a woman named Kelly. At the time I was holding a different state title and she requested that I please attend the walk. I explained that I would no longer be holding that title on the date of the walk. She said "no problem, please come."

I always keep my word whenever possible and promised to attend. I am so glad I did! What a wonderful opportunity to become involved in something that was very special and completely new to me. What I really appreciated was that information was posted on signs all the way through the one mile walk with facts and statistics about Autism. I learned alot during that walk and met some extraordinary parents and children who live with this condition everyday. I hope to return again next year!

I had the privilege of meeting some new queens and seeing some old friends as well along the route! It was nice to see so many people help this charity!

I recieved an e-mail from Kelly, the woman who invited me, and she informed me that this event raised over $512,000 for research for Autism!! I am thrilled I was a part of this amazing event!

No comments: