Saturday, October 20, 2007

"The Friendly Forest"

Today was such a busy, but very fun day! After spending time with wonderful senior citizens this morning with the NOF Walk in Sterling Heights, I switched gears in the afternoon and volunteered to serve the very young citizens in Clarkston (my hometown)!! :)

As a member of the Octagon Club (formerly known as the Optimist Club) we are a school based group of students that volunteer in our community. Every year we have the "Friendly Forest" where little ones can come to "trick or treat" while accompanied by their parents in a safe and happy environment. Last year I was the Scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz and this year I was "Fiona" from Shrek! I was supposed to be "Lady Liberty" (better known as the Statue of Liberty) but Shrek needed a partner and so I was switched. I was willing to help out wherever I was needed! I had a blast, as always, and I know that the parents appreciated our efforts while providing a fun spot for their children to celebrate the Halloween season! :)

The "forest" was filled with all kinds of fun characters: Batman, Cinderella, Tigger the Tiger, Belle, the Teacup, Spongebob and Patrick, etc. While handing out candy may seem like such a small, frivolous thing to do, it brought smiles to the children's faces and to us volunteers as well! I wonder what I will be for next year!
Happy Halloween everyone! Boo! :)

No comments: