Friday, June 20, 2008

Girls State Week at Michigan State University!



















June 14-21st found me attending Girls State at Michigan State University where girls from all over the state converged to learn more about how how government is run through mock elections, proposals, and every aspect of government.


I had a very sweet roommate named Emily and she was another red haired girl with very white skin just like me! We had a nice room where the bed was up high to the ceiling and the desk and drawers were underneath. Very different than I expected, but very comfortable.


On the second day I was very excited to be elected as the Mental Health Director and came up with a brilliant plan to save hundreds of thousands of dollars to implement excellent mental health care (and general hospital care) during the week until an unexpected natural disaster (a flood) destroyed my building!!!!! How rude!!! But it was all in good fun and I learned more than I ever wanted to know about how our State is run! Governor Granholm sure has her hands full!


I sang in the Girls State Choir (and got to sing on the Capital's steps) in Lansing, but did not get to see Gov Granhom during this trip. Although I did not bring home any awards it was a very enriching experience and I am so glad I was able to participate! I am now ready to return to address Congress again with a deeper understanding of our government system!

No comments: