Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Speaking to Congress on Capital Hill!! :)



















On, Thursday, Feb 28th, I had the most amazing opportunity to speak to Michigan's members of Congress! This was such a positive experience for me and I want to do it all over again! This was one day after my friend, and our new Miss America, Kirsten Haglund, had been on the Hill. I had just missed her!

My first appointment was with Rep. Mike Rogers at 11:30 am. He deals with Health issues on the Hill. I was so well prepared by Roberta Biegel, the Senior Director of Public Policy & Government Relations, that I wasn't nervous at all. She had me practice exactly what I would say and taught me to be brief (because their time is so short) and I felt very confident and ready. Heather Rabinowitz, from NOF's Communication Dept, joined us to take photos as I talked with Rep Rogers. He was sooooooooooo nice and was genuinely interested in what I had to say!!! I was so happy that he agreed with me that this is an issue that needs to be discussed in our schools because when we are young is the time to develop positive health habits. I felt like he really understood where I was coming from and it made me feel like my voice as a constituent really mattered!! :) There was a vote "on the table" and so Rep Rogers had to "run" to get his vote in on time so our time was cut a few minutes short, but I wouldn't have traded a minute of his time for anything! He has such a great personality and really does care about us Michiganders!

We had a quick lunch in the downstairs cafe of one of the buildings on the Hill. I saw so many young college students working as aides who are interested in politics and I was quite surprised. They don't make much money and many were doing internships in hopes of landing a job later on. I felt very proud that so many of us young people are interested in making our world a better place for others. My second appointment was with the saff of Senator Debbie Stabenow. Unfortunately, she was not able to attend this meeting, but I was still able to speak about Osteoporosis and they seemed to appreciate the information. In late January I was able to meet Sen. Stabenow at the Detroit Auto Show and she seemed very genuine and is certainly working very hard for our State. I hope to see her again in the ner future!

My last meeting on the Hill was with Senator Carl Levin and Mrs. Levin. She is an active Board Member for NOF as well. They were so gracious to listen to my speech and because Mrs. Levin suffers from Osteoporosis they took an active role in listening and asking questions. I also had the delight of meeting their little seven year old grand-daughter, Bess! She has to be the smartest little girl I have ever met! I think someday she will be working on Capital Hill with her grandfather!

After the meetings, my mom and I were given a private tour of the Nations Capital and even got to see the "hide away" where Rep Carl Levin stays when he needs to get away from everything for a bit. This hideaway overlooks the Jefferson Monument and has the most awesome view!! All of the Sentaors have a hide-away and I felt honored to have been given a birds eye view of this special place. It is off limits to the public and so I know how priviledged I was to experience it! :)

After the tour, we headed back to NOF for one more meeting. Kelly Cataldo talked about preparing us for the Gala Event called the Silhoutte Gala Ball. This is the biggest fund raiser and Award Banquet for the organization. It will be held on Friday, May 16th and I can't wait!! I am looking for the perfect gown to wear as this is a black tie event. Mr. Donald Trump has been invited and I hope he can make it to the Ball since it is being held in NYC and that is where he lives! Wouldn't that be cool??????????!!

For dinner, we went with Kris House and Piper Dankworth, the Director of Development at NOF, to a resturant called Old Glory and we talked more about Osteoporosis and the day's events on Capital Hill. We had such a great time and it was the perfect time to reflect on such a great effort on everyone's part to help make my time on the Hill a wonderful success! I am so thankful for their expertise and help!

I am so humbled by everything that NOF did to put me at ease and educate me about this issue. The staff is truly incredible and they all work together so well and for such a great cause. My time with them in Washington is one I will never forget!

No comments: